Friday, January 9, 2009

A Bangladeshi breakfast

I was out to eat recently for breakfast and was in somewhat of a hurry. I ordered the "English breakfast" of 2 eggs, toast and jam, tea and juice. I placed my order for scrambled eggs and asked for orange juice. I was told there was only mango. Ok, I'll take mango then.

5 minutes goes by, then 10 and nothing. I finally get some toast and jam after 15 minutes. I ask for the eggs, they are coming I am told. I get the eggs after about 2o minutes. How about the tea? Its coming, I'm told. After about 25 minutes, I get the tea.

Lastly, how about the juice? What kind did I want? I thought all you had was mango. No, we have apple or orange. I will take orange then!

Another 10 minutes goes by and no orange juice and I need to leave! I ask for the check. I am told that is normally brought at the END of the meal. I patiently tell the waiter, I AM at the end of my meal because I need to leave!

I get up to leave and see my orange juice in a glass on a plate coming towards me. Just before walking out of the restaurant I down the entire glass in about 5 seconds. It turns out to be a fabulous glass of FRESH SQUEEEZED orange juice! The gentleman tells me, that next time, I should tell them AHEAD of time if I want orange juice as it takes 10 minutes to make!

Morale of the story and lessons for surviving in Bangladesh is....

If you can have patience, Bangladesh has some wonderful things to offer, althought it just might make you insane though in the process!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha Ha! I love it! Sounds like a healthy breakfast! Albeit one that takes 30 minutes to get. Hope all is well.